nanog mailing list archives

Re: [newtech-1] Barclays wifi

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 02:24:33 -0400

One can only speculate on bandwidth, but a further source reveals that they
are using "multicast wi-fi"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4006836/barclays-center-app-replays-smartphone

It's all powered by Cisco's new StadiumVision Mobile, which reps compared
to how cable is delivered to your TV: instead of everyone having to crowd
onto a single connection, the "multicast" connection splits the feed and
delivers the same thing individually to everyone. That means my stream is
the same whether I'm alone in the stadium or surrounded by 19,000 other
Nets fans. In practice, it works remarkably well — I didn't get a chance to
test it with 19,000 people, but even in a quickly-filling arena my stream
never slowed or broke. I switched between a game feed and a stationary
camera above the rim, and jumping back into a replay worked seamlessly.

The stream is delayed about two seconds from the game itself, which for
replays is actually perfect — by the time you look down the play's
happening again. It does make it impossible to listen to the TV feed's
announcers, though, since they're always slightly behind the game as it
unfolds.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Warren Bailey <