nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Fragmentation - Not reliable over the Internet?

From: Dave Brockman <dave () dvstn com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:25:18 -0400

On 8/27/2013 10:04 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

On Aug 27, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

On (2013-08-27 10:45 +0200), Emile Aben wrote:

224 vantage points, 10 failed.

48 byte ping:    42 out of 3406 vantage points fail (1.0%)
1473 byte ping: 180 out of 3540 vantage points fail (5.1%)

Nice, it's starting to almost sound like data rather than
anecdote, both tests implicate 4<5% having fragmentation issues.

Much larger number than I intuitively had in mind.

I'm pretty sure the failure rate is higher, and here's why.

The #1 cause of fragments being dropped is firewalls.  Too many
admins configuring a firewall do not understand fragments or how
to properly put them in the rules.

Where do firewalls exist?  Typically protecting things with public
IP space, that is (some) corporate networks and banks of content
servers in data centers.  This also includes on-box firewalls for
Internet servers, ipfw or iptables on the server is just as likely
to be part of the problem.

It's not just firewalls.... border-routers are also apt to have ACLs
like these[1]:

ip access-list extended BORDER-IN
10 deny tcp any any fragments
20 deny udp any any fragments
30 deny icmp any any fragments
40 deny ip any any fragments

I see these a *LOT* on customer routers, before the packets even get
to the firewall....

Regards,

dtb

1. I found it most recently at
http://hurricanelabs.com/blog/cisco-security-routers/ but I know there
are many other "guides" that include these as part of their ACL.