nanog mailing list archives

Re: How big is the Internet? - Results

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:18:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Sean Donelan wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. Through the entire thread on-line and off-line only one person contributed an estimate

Patrick Gilmore said:
 All that said: My back-of-the-envelope math says the Internet is order
 of 1 exabyte/day, as defined by my own rules on what counts as "the
 Internet"[*].  I could easily be wrong, but you asked.

Perhaps the answers would have made more sense if everyone knew exactly what the question was. :)

You asked for an estimate of the "size of the Internet", but didn't specify if you meant number of networks comprising the Internet, number of devices connected to the Internet, combined total transit for all ASNs connected to the Internet, etc. The nature of the Internet is that nobody knows the answers to any of these questions. How do you know what goes on in my networks? So any "answers" are really only wild guesses.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route