nanog mailing list archives

Re: How big is the Internet?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:19:18 -0400

From: "Warren Bailey" <wbailey () satelliteintelligencegroup com>

I neglected to say one additional thing which I think may be worth reading
before replying. I have always held the opinion that internet traffic
isn't internet traffic until it hits the Internet, which I defined as
two or more autonomous systems functioning on their own but possessing the
ability to relay information between the two. I'm pretty sure that if
you have a single network, you couldn't label it "inter" unless "inter"
was between yourself - and then you have a network.. Not an internetwork.

I suspect that, to a first approximation, "traffic which passes through the
edge of at least one AS" is probably what most people think of as 'Internet'
traffic.

As per my original post to this thread, that would remove all traffic from Akamai on-net nodes, Google's GGC nodes,
Netflix's on-net Open Connect nodes, and many others.

If you are a broadband network in many countries, that is well over half the traffic going down your customer's pipes.

I think most people would alter their definition to count that traffic.

As for your DNS question: the interior query isn't, per-se, but the
repeated one from your resolver/proxy *is*.

I don't think the type of packet (DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc. or even TCP, IP, ICMP) should matter.

--
TTFN,
patrick