nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exchange Point

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 16:21:36 -0700

Does anyone see value in putting a open exchange point in one federal in
Springfield, MA?

Springfield, Mass.?  Can't hurt…

Agreed.  There's essentially no reason not to put in an exchange, anywhere three or more ISPs are present.

There's also Boston Internet Exchange which has been slowly picking up
steam, over at 1 Summer; you may want to look into remote interconnection.

That's 90 miles away, so I'd recommend not trying to extend their switch fabric that far.  If you were considering a
second exchange in Boston, I'd definitely recommend using the same switch fabric for both locations, but not at 90
miles of remove.  That would put a pretty big burden on the smaller ISPs that are likely to be participating in
Springfield.

                                -Bill