nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Resolver Dataset Update

From: Tom Laermans <tom.laermans () phyxia net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 09:08:41 +0200

On 7/04/2013 19:46, Jared Mauch wrote:
I've continued to update my dataset originally posted about two weeks ago.  Please take a moment and review your CIDRs
which may be running an open resolver.

I've exposed one additional bit in the user-interface that may be helpful.  Some DNS servers will respond with RCODE=0
(OK) but not provide recursion.  nearly 90% of the servers in the database provide recursion.
What is the rationale behind listing servers not providing recursion on a list of open resolvers?

As far as I know, responding either NOERROR or REFUSED produces packets of the same size.

Tom