nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:56:32 +0200

Subject: Re: Big Temporary Networks Date: Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 01:03:00PM -0700 Quoting Jo Rhett (jrhett ()
netconsonance com):
On Sep 13, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
I'm talking to the people who will probably be, in 2015, running the first
Worldcon I can practically drive to, in Orlando, at -- I think -- the Disney
World Resort.  I've told them how critical the issue is for this market; they,
predictably, replied "We look forward to your patch".  :-}

So I just want to point out that this is an utterly irrelevant topic. Worldcon is full to the brim with really smart
people who can build good networks, but in every place large enough to host a Worldcon the owners of the building
make money selling Internet access and don't want competition. The very best we've been able to do was create an
Internet Lounge with good connectivity, and even that isn't acceptable at most locations.

All the IETF and RIPE meetings I've been to have had excellent custom networks. How come?

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668