nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

From: Alex Brooks <askoorb+nanog () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:28:06 +0100

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Paul Thornton <prt () prt org> wrote:
On 18/09/2012 15:07, Eugen Leitl wrote:

http://paritynews.com/network/item/325-department-of-work-and-pensions-uk-in-possession-of-169-million-unused-ipv4-addresses

Department of Work and Pensions UK in Possession of 16.9 Million Unused
IPv4
Addresses

The only slight snag in his argument is that the addresses are not unused.
Not announced != Not used.

And for the definitive answer on this block, the official response is:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/internet_protocol_ipv4_address_a and
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/internet_protocol_ipv4_address_a_2

1. We can confirm that the address block is assigned to the DWP.

2. In principle, none of the address space is exposed to the public Internet.
There may be a very small number of addresses that have been exposed for
specific purposes, but certainly no significant block of addresses is visible
from the public Internet.

3. The address space is already shared across government. We have used or
allocated approximately 80% of the address space, and have earmarked the
remaining space for use within the proposed Public Services Network (PSN).
The PSN is building an Internet for government, and the DWP address space
is a key building block for delivery of this.

4. DWP have no plans to release any of the address space for use on the public
Internet. The cost and complexity of re-addressing the existing government
estate is too high to make this a viable proposition. DWP are aware that the
worldwide IPv4 address space is almost exhausted, but knows that in the
short to medium term there are mechanisms available to ISPs that will allow
continued expansion of the Internet, and believes that in the long term a
transition to IPv6 will resolve address exhaustion. Note that even if DWP were
able to release their address space, this would only delay IPv4 address
exhaustion by a number of months.

And for 25.0.0.0 to 25.255.255.255 the response from the Ministry of Defense is:

I can confirm that the IPv4 address block about which you enquire is assigned to and
owned by the MOD; however, I should point out that within this block, none of the
addresses or address ranges are in use on the public internet for departmental IT,
communications or other functions.  To date, we estimate that around 60% of the IPv4
address block has been allocated for internal use. As I am sure you will appreciate, the
volume and complexity of the Information Systems used by the Armed Forces supporting
military operations and for training continues to develop and grow.    We are aware that the
allocation of  IPv4 addresses are becoming exhausted, and the issue has been recognised
within the Department as a potential future IS risk.
In summary, therefore, we are unable to consider releasing parts of the address block that
has been allocated to the UKMOD for reassignment to non-UK Government organisations.