nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blocking MX query

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:17:06 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us>

I'm a bad subscriber, Bill?

Okay, fair enough. There are no good users *expecting* to send email
direct to a remote port 25 from behind a NAT. There are some good
users who occasionally run slightly sloppy configurations which might
attempt spurious port 25 connections.

I do, in fact, expect that.  You're alleging that's a bad practice.

Good to block port 25. Not good to knee-jerk ban users whose machines
happen to poke the port once or twice.

I wasn't even talking about banning or blocking me.  I was, as you'll see
in my other response, exercising the end-to-end architecture of the
Internet, as members of this list regularly exhort that I should be able
to.

"This is why we can't have nice things" is not, actually, a sufficiently
useful excuse for me to not agree with that principle.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com