nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network scan tool/appliance horror stories

From: Paul Thornton <prt () prt org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:43:41 +0000

On 29/10/2012 19:25, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

Also, if you're doing IPv6, the performance metrics for many network
devices can be a bit more of a moving target.

I'd almost be tempted to set up a few machines doing v6 only on the LAN, with some trivial to exploit telnet/SNMP access then invite them to scan the LAN and see if said machines are picked up.

My experience of these things a year or two ago was that most of these companies thought everyone had an internal flat IPv4 network in RFC1918 space and that was that. YMMV of course.

Paul.

--
Paul Thornton