nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 6509 SUP32 SNMP Meltdown With CatOS

From: Jeff Gehlbach <jeffg () opennms org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 17:12:26 -0400

On 11/02/2012 04:52 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

E.g. a fully loaded 6509 with 384 ports would take ~3000 queries every
several minutes to perform full port diagnostic polling, and you'd want to
be doing this every couple of seconds to cause serious CPU impact.  Are you
doing something like full DFZ or MAC table polling?

I bet you're close toward the end there.  My guess is he's carrying a
large BGP feed and querying the ipRouteTable.  The caveat below is for
IOS 12.4(20)T but equivalent issues surely exist for CatOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/release/notes/124TCAVS3.html#wp2057950

The killer in this case is not the SNMP traffic or anything resulting
directly from it, but the CPU overhead from constantly re-sorting the
ipRouteTable since that's generated from the FIB when CEF is enabled.
Workaround is to disable CEF (heh) or configure a MIB view that excludes
the ipRouteTable.  This one bites an OpenNMS support customer a few
times a year -- happened again just today, in fact, at a shop that just
enabled topology discovery.

Also, you may want to consider moving away from CatOS, as it's now
basically abandonware (or at least will formally be in Jan 2013), and
hasn't even seen maintenance updates in the last 4 years.

What you said :)

-jeff