nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operation Ghost Click

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 16:18:11 -0400

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net> wrote:
Once upon a time, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net> said:
Not withstanding that, according to you, in some places the landlines
"clipped the copper below the ground-level" I believe that vast majority
of the country has working copper phone lines that continue to work
during a power outage.

Not so much.  As has been pointed out here many times before, many
people now get POTS lines from remote cabinets that have limited battery
life and fail in a power outage lasting more than a few minutes.

yes, this.

in the last 2 neighborhoods I've lived in... near/around ashburn, va
(home to verizon, mci, lots of telco/bell-shaped-heads) I've always
been serviced from a remote terminal, that has often failed when the
power has cycled... There's a slew of places in the US where you don't
actually go all the way back to the CO on a single copper pair :(

never mind the places where the mini-co bundles you up on some
mpls/ccc/etc link ...

anyway :)