nanog mailing list archives

RE: YouTube Video Streaming

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:48:57 +0000

I would like to get some input for the following problem we face with
YouTube video streaming.
We are an ISP in Singapore and peer with Google at Equinix and SOX
(Singapore Open Exchange), For about 2 weeks we have been facing choppy
streaming or continuous buffering on various YouTube videos. These
problem videos are streamed at HD or original quality.
Our troubleshooting narrow down to those bad videos being streamed to
us from outside Singapore. We contacted Google support, they are
confused too, as why we are served from a cache server in Poland on one
of the videos. The case has been escalated within Google, unfortunately
no update from them since.

Not all YouTube videos are bad through us, some 45 minutes videos can
fully buffered within seconds on HD or original quality, of course the
IP we streamed for these videos are through our local peering with
Google.

I have seen similar issues, some videos work fine but others seem to stop after either a few minutes or half way
through. The same behaviour is seen on various computers, the same video stops at the same place.

I didn't have time and could not be bothered to look into it at the time and kind of put it down to one of those things
that will be fixed later.

So I'd be really interested in what the outcome is!

--
Leigh Porter