nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:06:31 -0400

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner () cluebyfour org> wrote:
All:

I realize this might be a bit of a fool's errand, but I'm trying to
determine if Verizon will speak BGP with FiOS business customers.  Their
website is relatively lean on details.  Everything that mentions BGP points
to VZB services, which does not appear to include FiOS.  Looking at the
routing table, I do see several non-VZ ASNs downstream of AS19262, so it
looks like it might be possible.

If that is the case, could anyone lend any insight to get past the "what is
BGP?" response that likely awaits from their salescritters?

So.... techsupport folks aside.. the product they sell is:

A) DHCP only, single address, dynamic
B) Single Static address (uplift of 25$/month I believe?)
C) 5 ips STATICALLY ROUTED AS /32's!! (WTF??) for 25$ above the
option-B above/month.

You can't bring your own space
You can't do BGP
You can get more than 5 ips (in 5 ip chunks I believe) for 25$/month
per chunk...

ip address rental, welcome to 1999!

Also, I know that on 701 the rate of BGP to non-BGP customers was
increasing and was at ~30% or so as of ~2007... You'd think that 19262
would see that, see the business opportunity and offer it? Though, I
suppose they DO see the business opportunity: "You want bgp? you want
to bring your own ips? you want more than a DHCP address? Pay up, a
lot."

weee! fun times! At some point there was fairly serious talk of moving
the FIOS product into the last-mile offering for 701 customers as
well, guess that didn't happen? :( Seems, to me at least, like the PON
technology would be a win/win for large ISP customers... easy upgrade
paths (dial-on-demand-bandwidth almost?) and simple CPE deployments:
"Ethernet? sure it's available!"

-chris