nanog mailing list archives

Re: Article: IPv6 host scanning attacks

From: Dave Hart <davehart () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:39:20 +0000

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
On 06/13/2012 02:28 PM, Dave Hart wrote:

The aforementioned article is available at:
<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/Analysis-Vast-IPv6-address-space-actually-enables-IPv6-attacks>

"published" and "available" are misleading at best.

It is not. Just scroll down the page, and you'll find the whole article.
-- it was easy to talk crap than to do that, right?

Yes, I'm an idiot for believing what I read on that site:

"Requires Free Membership to View"

Of course I should have expected that means "scroll past me and the
page of whitespace to view."

(FWIW, it's a human-readable version  of the IETF Internet-Draft I
published a month ago or so about IPv6 host scanning (see:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning>))

I guess I'll take a look at this to see what you're smoking.

I find it amazing the number of people that will talk crap when one
publishes something when compared to the number of people that provides
technical comments or criticism (even if it's "you're completely wrong
because of this and that).

The draft and the article raise valid points about the predictability
of widely-used MAC-derived IIDs, but it does not in any way justify
the headline "Analysis: Vast IPv6 address space actually enables IPv6
attacks."  Whomever wrote that should share their stash.

Cheers,
Dave Hart