nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 day and tunnels

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 18:59:13 -0700

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com> wrote:
Well, IPv6 day isnt here yet, and my first casualty is the browser on the
wife's machine, firefox now configured to not query AAAA.

Now www.facebook.com loads again.

Looks like a tunnel mtu issue. I have not as of yet traced the definitive
culprit, who is (not) sending ICMP too big, who is (not) receiving them,
etc.

www.arin.net works and worked for years. www.facebook.com stopped June 1.

So IPv6 fixes the fragmentation and MTU issues of IPv4 by how exactly?

Or was the fix incorporating the breakage into the basic design?

In IPv4 I can make tunneling just work nearly all of the time. So I have to
munge a tcp mss header, or clear a df-bit, or fragment the encapsulated
packet when all else fails, but at least the tools are there. And on the
host, /proc/sys/net

In IPv6, it seems my options are a total throwback, with the best one
turning the sucker off. Nobody (on that station) needs it anyways.

Joe

#1 don't tunnel unless you really need to.

#2 see #1

#3 use happy eyeballs, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555, Chrome has
a good implementation, but this does not solve MTU issues.

#4 MSS hacks work at the TCP layer and still work regardless of IPv4 or IPv6.

#5  According to the IETF, MSS hacks do not exist and neither do MTU
issues http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg12933.html

PSA time:  Please use http://test-ipv6.com/ and pass this good advice
around to the people you know.

Thanks,