nanog mailing list archives

Re: LinkedIn password database compromised

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:32:51 -0400

David Walker wrote:

Self signed certificates does sound great and for most purposes,
certainly in this case, fulfills all the requirements. There's no need
to verify anything about me is correct other than to tie my
authentication to my account. If I fail to meet the TOS then the plug
is easily pulled and any further activity can be dealt with as it
currently is by other means. I think there's enough risk in bringing
in a CA and so little advantage that it's wrong.

If LinkedIn or facebook or any large social site were to implement x509, they would be silly not to cast themselves as the trusted root.

a) its better than self signed

b) now they are an x509 identify provider