nanog mailing list archives

Re: Configuration Systems

From: valdis.kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:37:06 -0400

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:30:53 -1000, Paul Graydon said:

Your original definition: "cloud" == "you rented a colo, but have no
clue where".  I know exactly where my colo is.  I know exactly where my
physical servers are.  If I run a private cloud on those servers and
provision stuff there, I'll still know exactly where my colo is and I'll
still know where my "cloud" infrastructure is deployed

I posit the thesis that if you know where it is, it's not really a cloud, it's
just a server farm with a severe attack of buzzwords. The whole point of
"cloud" is that you've made "where" Somebody Else's Problem - and if you know
where it is because you're still managing it yourself, it isn't an SEP.