nanog mailing list archives

Re: FYI Netflix is down

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:24:49 -0700

On 6/30/12 12:11 AM, Tyler Haske wrote:
I am not a computer science guy but been around a long time.  Data centers
and clouds are like software.  Once they reach a certain size, its
impossible to keep the bugs out.  You can test and test your heart out and
something will slip by.  You can say the same thing about nuclear reactors,
Apollo moon missions, the NorthEast power grid, and most other technology
disasters.
How to run a datacenter 101. Have more then one location, preferably
far apart. It being Amazon I would expect more. :/
there are 7 regions in ec2 three in north america two in asia one in europe and one in south america.

us east coast, the one currently being impacted is further subdivided into 5 availability zones.

us east 1d appears to be the only one currently being impacted.

distributing your application is left as an exercise to the reader.