nanog mailing list archives

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts

From: Panashe Flack <lists222 () m l vaunt eu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:04:36 +0200

As a quick update, we've implemented some list settings last week to help to
keep spam off the list.  New subscribers are moderated until we're comfortable
with their posts.  We rejected the idea of keyword based message filtering
since not only is a lot of work to maintain, it's trivial to get around it if
you really want to post banned words.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Matt Griswold, on behalf of the NANOG Communications Committee

I dislike this change - how long are subscribers considered "new"? I
believe (and I hope I'm wrong) that with this new rule the nanog
maiing list will turn into another fulldisc (list activity greatly
reduced) by this change. Before this change I had thought of nanog as
the new fulldisc - I guess I will have to find yet ANOTHER mailing
list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
SEEN the "Linux Kernel Mailing List"? - it gets frequent spam posts
and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
continue on its remit.