nanog mailing list archives

RE: Is Hotmail in the habit of ignoring MX records?

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:12:24 +0000

From: Ryan Rawdon
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:06 AM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Is Hotmail in the habit of ignoring MX records?

No solution to the issue was found in the various forks of that thread,
however one individual afflicted by this issue (the OP) seems to have
resolved his specific issue with Hotmail by fixing his MX records to be
in stricter compliance with RFCs and best practices (removed a CNAME) -
that said, per the quote above Hotmail should not have been falling
back  to the A records or any other RRs for the hostname.

I would say MX pointing to a CNAME instead of pointing to an A record is the #1 cause of intermittent mail delivery
problems I have seen.  Some MTAs seem to tolerate it, some don't.