nanog mailing list archives

Re: using "reserved" IPv6 space

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:57:27 +0200

On 2012-07-18 00:47, Seth Mattinen wrote:
[..]
Here's a calculator that will generate a random one for you:

http://bitace.com/ipv6calc/

A random one indeed, because the javascript for it is just:
[..]
does not follow RFC4193 in any way at all. A such do not use it.

The original real RFC4193 ULA generator script can be found at:
 http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html

google(ipv6 ula) for another page, that has been referenced often enough
on this very list already, if you want to 'register' it there to avoid
another small chance of collision, that page also uses the script from
the above site for a true RFC4193 prefix.

Oh well, so much for the googles.

Yes, it is a shame that the bitace thing references RFC4193 and then
does not use it. Lets Bcc: them and see if they act upon, you never know
if they fix things or not, there are good guys still left on these
Internets.

Still, don't make up your own squat
range for "private" IPv6 space. Use ULA if you really want such a thing.

I am wondering what you meaning with 'squat', note that what I reference
above is real full RFC4193 calculated ULA.

The optional registration thingy is just optional for those that don't
trust probability and want to have a little more security. Also lots of
folks like to claim something as their own and well storage bits are
cheap for that little amount of info and reassures a lot of folks.

Greets,
 Jeroen