nanog mailing list archives

RE: job screening question

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 19:26:28 -0600

"What's the problem with using 255.255.255.247 as a subnet
mask if you want to make a LAN subnet with 12 hosts?"
  (5 word answer)

My response would be: Discontiguous subnet masks were allowed in the pre-CIDR
era. If you so desire, give me about 2 hours since I do not have a scientific
calculator handy; and I will get back to you with the complete-list.

Definitely not 5 words as required from the HR stand point. So I get
disqualified again!

Hehehe.  Ok.  So if this was 1986 then the answer would be:

No Hosts on the Network.

There is only 1 host bit, and both available addresses would be reserved for the directed-broadcast and
subnet-broadcast address respectively, leaving no space for an actual host, let alone 12 of them.

---
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org