nanog mailing list archives

Re: F-ckin Leap Seconds, how do they work?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 20:48:58 -0700

On Jul 4, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

On 7/4/12, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

IMO, leap seconds are a really bad idea. Let the vanishingly few
people who care about a precision match against the solar day keep
track of the deviation from clock time and let everybody else have a
*simple* clock year after year. When the deviation increases to an
hour every what, thousand years? Then you can do a big, well
publicized correction where everybody is paying attention to making it
work instead of being caught by surprise.
[snip]

Instead of having leap seconds;   redraw the world timezone map,  so
that the boundaries of every time zone  are shifted by a distance in
feet that corresponds to one second;  and such that after a thousand
years and an  hour's  worth of  leap seconds,
the physical locations of the timezones will have shifted  just so
far,  that there is a 1 hour adjustment.  :)

--
-JH

Given that we don't seem to be able to eliminate the absurdity of DST,
I doubt that either of those proposals is likely to fly.

Owen