nanog mailing list archives

Re: Populating BGP from Connected or IGP routes

From: Thilo Bangert <thilo.bangert () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:02:18 +0100

If you're a little bigger and have BGP customers, then I highly recommend
use of BGP communities to control your outbound route filtering.  By
defining and setting communties on received customer routes, you can turn
up new BGP customers without having to modify anything beyond the router
they're connected to.  It amazes me that there are large networks still
not setup this way.  "You need an after hours maintenance window to turn
up a BGP customer?"  "Yeah, we have to modify the prefix list filters on
all our backbone routers."  WTF?

What about traffic filtering? You may use RPF for ingress traffic, but what to
do about egress? Or does your router write those ACLs based on BGP community?

thanks
Thilo