nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

From: Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi () niif hu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:50:36 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Mathias Wolkert wrote:

Hi

On 1/25/12 23:53 , Owen DeLong wrote:
[...]
Note, you can use RA for default gateway while still using static addressing.

Could you give me a little bit more on this?

It seems to me that most platforms stop listening to RAs once you give
them a static address.

Static address + RA working on FreeBSD and Linux. Sorry we don't have other servers, where we are using statically configured IPv6 addresses.

Letting a host run slaac and then add a static address is not good
enough as the slaac address might be chosen for locally generated packets.

Define for every application your bind address - locally generated packets will use it. If it is not possible Use RFC 3484 source address selection for selecting static source addresses.

If it works with listening on RAs when running with statically
configured address, why HSRP/VRRP?

Statically configured default gateways worked for us with VRRP/HSRP. VRRP/HSRP is for first-hop redundancy.
        Best Regards,
                Janos Mohacsi