nanog mailing list archives

RE: juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:45:41 +0000

We looked at their CER/CES line back in 2009/2010 when we were scoping
for kit to deploy our MPLS In The Access topology.

That time, the box only did 512,000 entries in the FIB, but clearly the
newer iron has had an upgrade on the inside :-).
This is good!

Inevitably, we settled for Cisco's ME3600X, after realizing we didn't
need to carry a full table in the Access (and could still provide IP
Transit services in the Access easily), and at the time, even though
the Cisco was much newer, the mid-term feature road map was better.

Mark.

That upgrade is for the -RT only, not the standard unit.  I suggested they provide four ports that would be standard
GigE SFP ports that could be enabled for 10G SFP+ by license key in addition to the 2x10G expansion module. So if you
had a unit with a capability of 6x10G and 12xGigE, it would be a killer little peering point switch in 1U of rack space.