nanog mailing list archives

Re: VPC=S/MLT?

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:10:49 +0000

On 13 Jan 2012, at 19:35, "Joel jaeggli" <joelja () bogus com> wrote:

On 1/13/12 11:19 , -Hammer- wrote:
OK, So I'm doing a lot of reading lately on Nexus as we are about to get
into the 7k/5k game and of course a lot of the marketing revolves around
VPC. Every time I see it referenced, I keep remembering a reasonably
reliable Nortel implementation called Split MLT (Multi Link Trunk). Is
there something fancy here that I'm missing in the docs or am I wrong in
equating the two? Isn't VPC just S/MLT? It's just that Cisco has shown
up 8 years late and is trying to hype it up to compensate?

vpc/vlt/mlag/s/mlt

I am using the Brocade version, Multi Chassis Trunking (MCT), and it really does make things a lot nicer.

--
Leigh Porter