nanog mailing list archives

Re: time sink 42

From: Bryan Irvine <sparctacus () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:51:15 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Ricky Beam <jfbeam () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:18:42 -0500, Mike Lyon <mike.lyon () gmail com> wrote:

If they are Dell servers, you could always name each host in their BIOS so
it shows up on the display of the host.

I did that with a batch of sun v20z's... when they got to the colo, no one
knew which was which until they're powered and the service processor is
fully booted. (a process that takes several minutes) By then, they've been
racked in the wrong racks and in the wrong order. :-(  Of course, I've done
that to myself as well... pull a stack of machines and forget what order
they were in :-)

And watch for the removable faceplates.  We've been bitten before
after a server move by rebooting a server that had the correct label
but the wrong faceplate.  Now we label the faceplate as well as
underneath of it too.  :-)

-B