nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:04:52 -0800

On 12/21/2012 12:00 PM, Aled Morris wrote:
On 21 December 2012 18:22, Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net> wrote:

I will say that one nice thing about having different connectors for
different protocols (on consumer devices anyway) is that you don't have
to worry about somebody plugging the Internet into the "Video 1" port
and wondering why they aren't getting a picture.

I do agree but I also think that for HDMI Ethernet your TV (which is the
device with lots of HDMI sockets) will act as an Ethernet switch, so there
shouldn't be any "Ethernet enabled" vs. "Video Enabled" ports.

Now of course that means you probably need Spanning Tree in your domestic
appliances.

In this day and age exactly how hard is this? Since it's all linux
under the hood, isn't it just a brctl away?

Mike