nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant Routes, BGP with MPLS provider

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:14:59 -0400

On 8/30/12, Tribble, Wesley <WTribble () sterneagee com> wrote:
Hello all,

I am an Network Operator working in an Enterprise environment with offices
all over the country(mostly connected via MPLS).  We are currently working
towards building a Disaster Recovery Site that will host some of our vendor
routers and provide the capability to access these vendors from both our
primary and backup data center locations.  The routes(as advertised by the
vendor's routers) will be the same at both locations.  I would like to
advertise the routes from multiple locations at the same time, rather than
suppress the routes and advertise conditionally.

At work, we have our internal routing protocol running on GRE over
IPSec tunnels & keep the BGP sessions with the MPLS provider limited
to just the MPLS network.  And have an ACL on the MPLS network
interface that allows only what's expected in...   some providers are
better than others at not having anything hit the 'deny any any log'
line

Regards,
Lee

What is the best method to Instruct the provider's network to prefer the
Primary Data Center routes over the DR site?  Keep in mind that I am only
peering with the provider over BGP and I have no visibility to the
underlying MPLS architecture or configuration.  Although if you have
specific questions  about their architecture, I can work to get answers.

Discussing in house, we have gone over a few different options:

-Advertise specific routes from primary site and summary routes from the DR
site.  Most specific will always be chosen.
-Prepend the routes from the DR site so that they will have a longer AS-path
than the Primary location
-Use Community Strings to influence local preference.(Still working to find
out if Provider will pass our community strings)

Just looking for some ideas and best practices.  Any thoughts or insight
would be much welcomed and appreciated.  This is my first message on NANOG,
so please be gentle.  I apologize in advance if I have done something
incorrectly.

Wes

________________________________
Sterne Agee Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries request that you do not
transmit orders
and instructions regarding your Sterne Agee account by e-mail. Transactional
details
do not supersede normal trade confirmations or statements. The information
contained
in this transmission is privileged and confidential. It is intended for the
use of the
individual or entity named above. The information contained herein is based
on sources
we believe reliable but is not considered all-inclusive. Opinions are our
current
opinions only and are subject to change without notice. Offerings are
subject to prior
sale and/or change in price. Prices, quotes, rates and yields are subject to
change
without notice. Sterne Agee & Leach, Inc. member FINRA and SIPC, is a
registered
broker-dealer subsidiary of Sterne Agee Group, Inc. Generally, investments
are NOT
FDIC INSURED, NOT BANK GUARANTEED, and MAY LOSE VALUE. Please contact
your Financial Advisor with information regarding specific investments.
Sterne Agee
reserves the right to monitor all electronic correspondence.