nanog mailing list archives

Re: 172.0.0.0/12 has been Allocated

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:18:45 -0400

On Aug 23, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net> wrote:

How does one suddenly justify needing 1,000,000 more IP addresses (explosive expected growth in the next couple
months?)

I can easily see people moving through those IPs in short order if you have a datacenter or other deployment you are
working on.  I've heard stories from some of the popular sites about how they have consumed all the 'private' space for
their internal-side servers/infrastructure so started to go after public IPs (in addition to IPv6) to workaround the
problem.

AT&T hasn't seen the wireline subscriber growth, but I'm sure their wireless side, datacenter, and other needs are
driving growth.

- Jared