nanog mailing list archives

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:39:47 -0400

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Anurag Bhatia <me () anuragbhatia com> wrote:
Hello everyone

I was dealing with a case where there's a mismatch in nameserver of a
domain (nameservers set at registrar) and NS record on the delegated
servers. Now NS on delegated servers are good and I am trying to create
list of domains using wrong nameservers at registrar.

so you tested this with: dig +trace <domain> ?
or dig NS domain @TLD.server  && matched against dig NS domain
@domain-ns-server ?

(you didn't give much info to go on here...)

Now as you would be knowing if I do regular dig with ns, it provides NS
records. However I was able to find nameservers by digging gTLD root for
gTLD based domains. This works for .com/net/org etc but again fails for say
.us, .in etc. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it rather then
running script on thousands of domain names again & again digging registry
specific nameservers?

+trace

May be does someone knows/runs any simple server which can be whois'ed for
some basic regular output which can be printed. Regular whois output for
domain names seems hard to parse.

participate in weirds... try to make 'whois' better.

Thanks.

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com