nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS noise

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:44:00 -0700

Jimmy,

On Apr 6, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:
I suspect the root server operators might not like this idea very much.
If it solves other problems adequately, they might eventually just have to learn to like it.

I was, of course, using the root servers as a proxy for pretty much any DNS server operator.  The root server operators
aren't unique in the requirement to respond to an unbounded number of queries.

Treating a symptom and ignoring the disease. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp38
No. Implementation of BCP38 does have value, but the existence of
BCP38 does not solve DNS application problems;

You seemed to have missed the part where it isn't just a DNS problem.  Your solution would appear to be to replace
every datagram-based query/response protocol such as ICMP and SNMP. I personally think it is more feasible for ISPs to
implement BCP38 than it is for the entire Internet to move away from using datagram-based query/response protocols, but
that's probably just me.

but ignoring mitigation of the symptoms,
despite there being more readily available options for symptom mitigation.

Sorry, which more readily available options are those?  I don't think forcing a 3-way exchange for stuff like PMTUD is
'readily available'.

The underlying problem is that "BCP38" is not really a "best common practice",
despite the name of the series.

The name of the series is "Best Current Practice".

Lots of networks don't and will not ever implement BCP38;

It is true that lots of networks don't implement BCP38.  Whether or not they will ever is more debatable.  I suspect
that we're about one major spoofing-based infrastructure attack away from proposed legislation that would force folks
to implement something like BCP38, but I may be a bit more pessimistic than most.

However, I would be interested in hearing what the excuses are for folks not implementing BCP38 these days.

Regards,
-drc