nanog mailing list archives

RE: vyatta for bgp

From: Pierce Lynch <p.lynch () netappliant com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:37:19 +0000

Andreas Echavez [mailto:andreas () livejournalinc com] originally wrote:
Ultimately, the network is as reliable as you build it. With software, it's much cheaper to divide and scale
horizontally. Hardware devices are expensive and usually horizontal
scalability never happens. So in reality, an enterprise blows 100k on two routers, they both flop because of some
"firmware bug", and you're down.

With this in mind, I am keen to understand how many implementations of packages such as Quagga and Zebra that the group
use. With the likes of Vyatta being discussed, I am keen to see if products such as Quagga as still regularly used as
it used to be.

Thoughts welcome!

Kind regards,

/P.