nanog mailing list archives

Re: facebook spying on us?

From: Charles Mills <w3yni1 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:16:36 -0400

Could be something related to the earlier cookie controversy that was
discussed.

I did dig too deeply into exactly what they were doing however.

Chuck

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Glen Kent <glen.kent () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I see that i have multiple TCP sessions established with facebook.
They come up even after i reboot my laptop and dont login to facebook!

D:\Documents and Settings\gkent>netstat -a | more

Active Connections

 Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
 TCP    gkent:3974    www-10-02-snc5.facebook.com:http  ESTABLISHED
 TCP    gkent:3977    www-11-05-prn1.facebook.com:http  ESTABLISHED
 TCP    gkent:3665
a184-84-111-139.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http  ESTABLISHED

[clipped]

Any idea why these connections are established (with facebook and
akamaitechnologies) and how i can kill them? Since my laptop has
several connections open with facebook, what kind of information is
flowing there?

I also wonder about the kind of servers facebook must be having to be
able to manage millions of TCP connections that must be terminating
there.

Glen