nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Traffic Light Control (was Re: First real-world SCADA attack in US)

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:45:08 -0500 (EST)

Within each intersection controller is a PC board with a diode matrix
called a "conflict monitor". It has inputs from all of the green and
yellow phases including pedestrian walk signals, turn arrows, etc.

It's the job of the traffic engineer installing the system to program
the conflict monitor for that intersection. By default they're
programmed for a simple North-South vs. East-West intersection of
two-way streets with pedestrian controls. If anything different, the
conflict monitor is reprogrammed in the field to match the
intersection.

In the event of a conflict, defined as green, yellow or walk signals
that would cause conflicting traffic being allowed, the conflict monitor
forces the intersection into red flashing in all directions and
disconnects control from the microprocessor until manually reset
on-site. If networked, it also sends a conflict alarm. If the
conflict monitor is removed, the intersection goes to flash.

So, while "flash" isn't the default condition, which the controller is
taken *out* of by the conflict monitor, that monitor is at least *static
logic*, with essentially no moving parts?  I can live with that, I guess.

Conflicting green is only possible if the conflict monitor is
mis-programmed or the external connections to the signal heads are
mis-wired. Even a short-circuit in the external wiring between two
green phases would be detected unless the feed wires of the
conflicting phases are cut to the signal box.

Got it.

In the real world, "Stuff happens". Trucks cut corners and turn the
traffic heads to point the wrong way. Controllers get replaced with a
stock unit after a failure or accident knocking down the signal box
without being properly set up for that intersection.

Yeah.  But at least that's stuff you have a hope of managing.  "Firmware
underwent bit rot" is simply not visible -- unless there's, say, signature
tracing through the main controller.

But, an external cracker even with full access won't be able to cause
a conflict. Massive traffic jams by messing with the timing, short or
long cycles, etc. but not a conflict.

Which is what I was hoping for: a failure might cause that, but an attack
has to be a) local and b) fairly knowledgable.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com