nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic (changing) IPv6 prefix delegation

From: Tim Franklin <tim () pelican org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:48:15 -0000 (GMT)

3) If you write an application using anything other than UDP or TCP,
it won't work on most networks (with some minor exceptions for PPTP
and IPSEC, which work sometimes).

This hasn't been my experience unless you're behind some form of NAT.
Yes, it is well known that NAT breaks most protocols.

I've come across a non-zero number of "residential" providers, who, with or without NAT, explicitly discard protocols
50 and 51.  The same argument is applied - if you want this, you must buy a "business" connection.  Which is usually
double-speak for "add an order of magnitude to the price, turn off *some* of the broken-ness".

Regards,
Tim.