nanog mailing list archives

Re: Query : seeking a (low cost & secure) turnkey plug-and-play appliance to report network outages

From: Henry Yen <henry () AegisInfoSys com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:36:06 -0500

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 06:58:46AM -0600, A. Chase Turner wrote:
I am seeking a $100 turnkey micro hardware appliance to plug into a LAN
hub (behind a consumer-level cable modem) whose only purpose in life is
to send heartbeat (and simple quality of service metrics) to a
pre-configured central aggregation service on the WAN.

Question to the list: do you know of an alternative hardware solution
under $100 that would suffice -- and be of such quality that an
incumbent internet service provider will not thumb their nose at me when
I call in to report remote users are down based upon the loss of
heartbeats from the remote users?

Pretty much any programmable/flashable little device would be sufficient, I
think.  Besides WRTG wireless routers as mentioned elsewhere, the smallest
device I've set up so far was one of those Seagate docking stations (I think
it was a "FreeAgent"?) which I got for $25 new; flashing it to Linux was
straightforward, albeit non-trivial.  Other cheap devices that are potentially
flashable abound (Raspberry Pi, anyone?), including possibly teensy
terminal servers, IP phones, used eBay old smartphone with a cracked screen for
$20, etc.  The ability to run PoE might also be an attractive feature.

The call tree is working (somewhat) to improve accountability and
response by the cable service provider ... but it is a waste of their
time as there is no formal "record" of outage events to spur the
provider to provide refunds for unscheduled service outages.   Thus, I
am seeking a turnkey quality of service micro appliance that automates
(and documents) service outage notifications .. so as to allow me
(living in a city and my being on a different internet service provider)
to take on the role of calling the rural cable service provider and
claim (with authority) that I know that 10 individuals systems (who have
the heartbeat appliance installed) are down and that the cable service
provider needs to fix the issue...

In this scenario, it sounds like you're depending on end-to-end connectivity,
so remember that loss of ping/heartbeat isn't a guarantee that the failure
isn't due to something else, though...

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York