nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone seen this kind of problem? SIP traffic not getting to destination but traceroute does

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:41:39 -0600

On 11/9/2011 4:45 PM, Blake Hudson wrote:
I'm not sure how an IP transit provider (who should be providing routing/switching) screws up transport layer connections - looks like they are arbitrarily "managing" client data. Just my $0.02.

With today's routers, all sorts of weird things can go wrong, especially if it's a hardware failure.

I had an IO/FE go out on a 7200 (which is as software as you get) which attributed to a lot of weirdness. It started when the IGP updated state information on the IO card's FE, which shut down mpls switching on the router, but the LSP itself was still considered up. It then showed by freaking out the neighbor 7206 when we reboot the failing one (could no longer ping the loopback of the neighbor router with and without using the LSP, but all IGP was up and you could ping/telnet/ssh to any other IP ). Finally the reboot itself showed the true issue (required multiple power cycles and a reset of the ata card to even load IOS in an unstable state).

I don't even want to think what happens when a high end router's linecard starts to fail.

Jack