nanog mailing list archives

Re: Performance Issues - PTR Records

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:07:10 +1100

In message <41F6C547EA49EC46B4EE1EB2BC2F341849F82D4BE8 () EXVPMBX100-1 exc.icann.o
rg>, Leo Vegoda writes:
Mark Andrew wrote:

[...]

That said though the PTR->forward->PTR check is a proper check and a
really great way to figure out if the source SMTP host was actually set
up with at least some admin doing it the right way. If they can't be
bothered to set that up, why should you bother to accept that mail, or =
better choice, just score it a bit negatively at least.
=20
Which only works as a filter because ISP's decided to prevent home
users from putting valid PTR records in the DNS for their own
machines.  It has nothing to do with clue or knowlege. =20

Some do but some don't. I seem to remember a very nice little web interface=
for setting reverse DNS when I used xs4all's service in the Netherlands.=20

Regards,

Leo

But many do.  As I said the ability to set up PTR records has
*nothing* to do with the clue level of the administrator.  It has
everything to do with what the ISP will let you do.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org