nanog mailing list archives

Re: corporations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 10:23:15 -0400

On May 12, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Roy wrote:

On 5/12/2011 4:03 PM, George Herbert wrote:
Large end-user companies generally multihomed by that time, and you
generally did that by BGP4 at the time (post-1994), and before that
BGP3, and before that EGP, and before that... well, there was little
"commercial ISPness" other than NSFNet connectivity and the regional
networks back then so multihoming was somewhat of a moot point.

Thank you again, UUNet/Alternet and PSI!

The management of the large end-user company I worked for could barely spell Internet at the beginning of 1995.  A
few connections to the Internet existed and the lab where I worked was experimenting with a socks-server.  There was
a large intranet allocated from the company's class A space.

But it wasn't long before SOCKS (and proxy in non-US) servers were deployed throughout the entire company, connected
behind an ISP owned and operated by that company.  The connectivity was typically static routing to/from the POP in the
same building IIRC.