nanog mailing list archives

RE: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible with today's technology.

From: "Stefan Fouant" <sfouant () shortestpathfirst net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:19:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Landon Stewart [mailto:lstewart () superb net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:08 PM
To: nanog
Subject: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's
possible with today's technology.

Lets say you had a file that was 1,000,000,000 characters consisting of
8,000,000,000bits.  What if instead of transferring that file through
the
interwebs you transmitted a mathematical equation to tell a computer on
the
other end how to *construct* that file.  First you'd feed the file into
cruncher of some type to reduce the pattern of 8,000,000,000 bits into
an
equation somehow.  Sure this would take time, I realize that.  The
equation
would then be transmitted to the other computer where it would use its
mad-math-skillz to *figure out the answer* which would theoretically be
the
same pattern of bits.  Thus the same file would emerge on the other
end.

Not exactly the same thing, but application acceleration of this sort has
been around for some time -

http://www.riverbed.com/us/
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/application-acceleration/wxc-
series/