nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experience with Open Source load balancers?

From: Paul Graydon <paul () paulgraydon co uk>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 08:41:22 -1000

On 05/17/2011 08:23 AM, Tom Hill wrote:
I've worked with open source and commercial solutions, and while the
open source systems were almost always far more flexible, and cheaper
up front, they certainly required more work to get going..  Once setup
and running though both types of solutions had pretty equal amounts of
maintenance, with the commercial solutions requiring somewhat less
time/babysitting for upgrades and to enable or use new features or
functionality.
I worry far more about upgrades to proprietary appliances (where it's
often the whole system image), than I do about a few package updates on
a Linux machine (followed by a service restart, or two).

But still, pretty well worded. :)

Tom

Can't speak for other brands these days but F5s have two hard disks in them. You can upgrade the software on the hot-spare, boot off that and confirm everything is working. If it isn't you can just switch back.

Paul