nanog mailing list archives

Re: coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 18:44:22 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>

On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:53:53 CDT, Michael Sabino said:
If you are a big corporation, and it is 1995, how likely is it that
you'll utilize bgp for advertising your address space to the internet?

Well, we got AS1312 sometime before 1996 (the *last changed* timestamp is
19960207), that sort of implies that 1311 other organizations were grabbing AS
numbers before that. And since an AS number has no real use for anything other
than BGP, that implies some 1,300 organizations doing BGP in the 1995
timeframe.

I myself inferred that he meant "large end-user corporations whose primary
line of business was *not* being a network provider".

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com