nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 11:48:01 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Dillon" <wavetossed () googlemail com>

You do realize that unicast from Real Networks caches *IS* multicast,
just not IP Multicast. Akamai runs a very large and successful multicast
network which shows that there is great demand for multicast services,
just not the low level kind provided by IP Multicast.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the definition of "multicast" then,
I guess, Mike.  Cause my definition is "only one stream of it passes through
each interface of a given router", and I expect that doesn't fit the
situation you're talking about.

Cheers,
-- jra