nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN approves .XXX red-light district for the Internet

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 27 Mar 2011 18:35:17 -0000

                        ... I expect the board and staff really
really would not want to have to answer questions under oath like "who
did you talk to at the US Department of Commerce about the .XXX
application and what did you say?" and "why did you vote against .XXX
when they followed the same rules as the TLDs you voted for?"

The first assumes that a beneficiary should exist that is distinct
from the applicant-sponsor.

On the contrary.  Since it is clear that all of the other sTLDs have
failed to attract the predicted support from their nominal
communities, why should a similar lack of support for .XXX make any
difference?

The second assumes the principle liability that exists is specific to
a single application.

While possible, this fails to place a controversy in its complete
context, and assumes an implied pattern of conduct by an agency of
government at a point in time reflects a continuous primary issue of
that agency.

Heck no.  I expect that were a case to bring documents to light, they
would show that what ICANN said to the US government was at odds with
what they were saying in public.  I know none of us would find that at
all surprising, but we're not a judge looking at the contracts.

R's,
John