nanog mailing list archives

Re: Switch with 24x SFP PVLAN QinQ Layer 2

From: Adam Armstrong <lists () memetic org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:39:40 +0000

On 02/03/2011 19:19, James Brown wrote:

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com <mailto:rubensk () gmail com>> wrote:

    > Requirements are basically just 24/48 SFP ports, PVLAN and
    selective QinQ.
    > Most devices that fit the requirements are Layer 3, which pushes
    the cost
    > per port too high.

    Cisco ME6524 has a model with 32 SFP ports (24 with 3:1
    oversubscription, 8 non-oversubscribed) and "IP Base" IOS which has
    very limited L3 features (RIP and EIGRP stub only), focused on Layer 2
    deployments.

    Rubens

The ME3600X might be more a more appropriate Cisco solution than the ME6524. The ME3600X is one of the current metro MDU access CPE device of choice.

2x10GE and 24xGE SFP or Copper versions with Metro Feature set.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10956/index.html

*In the spirit of full disclosure I am biased towards this vendor

Still much too expensive :)

adam.