nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

From: Benson Schliesser <bensons () queuefull net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:53:12 -0500

On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

So I wonder....  rhetorically speaking.. what happens when a bankruptcy
court accidentally sells something that doesn't actually exist,
Because that's what IP addresses are.  Totally worthless unless community
participants voluntarily route traffic for those IPs to the assignee.

There are a small number of examples, of intellectual property that exists solely by convention and yet has value.  But
you're correct: the property structure of IP addresses is ambiguous.  We never had to define it because we had free
supply, but times are changing.

Meaning if MS has an RSA in force, all their resources should be compliant
with ARIN policies,  and all transfer policies should be followed with regards
to justified need.

If I recall correctly, the ARIN RSA only applies to resources acquired from ARIN.  It's a contract for ARIN services
and doesn't cover legacy blocks, blocks from other RIRs, etc - it doesn't automatically extend ARIN's authority.