nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route tablesizeconsiderations

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:04:45 -0500

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM, James Stahr <stahr () mailbag com> wrote:

Is anyone else considering only using link local for their PtoP links?  I
realized while deploying our IPv6 infrastructure that OSPFv3 uses the
link-local address in the routing table and than the global address, so if I
want to have a routing table which makes sense, I need to statically assign
a global address AND the link-local address.  Then I realized, why even
assign a global in the first place?  Traceroutes replies end up using the
loopback. BGP will use loopbacks.  So is there any obvious harm in this
approach that I'm missing?

For now I have allocated /64s per p-t-p, but I'm doing "ipv6 unnumbered
loopback0"

I quite like how the core route table looks. It also lets me avoid "The
Point to Point Wars" :-)

Maybe there will be a good reason to go back and slap globals on there, but
I've not been convinced yet.

--
Tim:>